Friday, October 3, 2008

A mysterious beast in our midst

This morning Dad was ready to take me directly outside as soon as his shuffling around in the kitchen wakes me up. Out of my crate he carried me, right out the screened porch door and outside to let me go potty. So, there I am in the pre-dawn stillness. Wandering around the front yard with Daddy instructing me, "Come on, Holly, and go potty..." But, wait...what is that thing over yonder, too close for comfort? It’s HUGE and it’s looking at me. I am captivated and sit down to gaze at it. "Come on, Holly, that’s Josie the Horse, she's a horse and she is part of our pack. Now, go potty!" I am mesmerized. Never in my young life have I seen such an immense creature. "Holly, go potty," Daddy says again, having little effect on my amazement with this brown, furry animal called Josie, the horse. Daddy picked me up and carried me to the fence only 30 feet away. "See, Holly, this is Josie. She's a horse and she is part of our pack."
Something told me that Josie had heard that drill before. Maybe other puppies have been here. By the time Daddy said, "See Holly, this is..." Josie had already put her barn-wide behind toward us and walked away. I guess this horse-animal is not ready to make my acquaintance. Daddy set me back down in the damp grass. "Okay now Holly, time to go potty. Daddy has to get going here," he instructed. So I squatted and peed a little bit.
"Good girl!" he commended like only he does, making it sound almost like a song. Back in the grass I go. "Now, go potty." I have to get going," Daddy says. But, his words fall on floppy, deaf ears. I sat and gazed. In the shadowy distance, I could make out the thing called Josie as it paced toward the barn. Who can poop when you have a beast on the loose? Daddy swept me into his arms and up the stairs we went. In the kitchen, I watched as Chaser, on command, sat and gave paw for a puppy cookie. I did the same (I seem to be left pawed like Mommy) and chewed my puppy cookie as Daddy retreated to the bathroom. I thought he would never leave! There was a doughy loaf at the ready and plenty of kitchen floor to choose from.

No comments: